Є|>ЯФ | Eden Project
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Xp Gain Readjustment Recommendations for Consideration

4 posters

Go down

Would you like to see XP gains adjusted?

Xp Gain Readjustment Recommendations for Consideration I_vote_lcap83%Xp Gain Readjustment Recommendations for Consideration I_vote_rcap 83% 
[ 5 ]
Xp Gain Readjustment Recommendations for Consideration I_vote_lcap17%Xp Gain Readjustment Recommendations for Consideration I_vote_rcap 17% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 6

Poll closed

Xp Gain Readjustment Recommendations for Consideration Empty Xp Gain Readjustment Recommendations for Consideration

Post  Roland Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:39 pm

Current XP Gain Adjusted XP Gain

General Kill/Frag 50xp 100xp
Headshot Bonus 70xp 100xp
Knife Kill Bonus 100xp 175xp

Bomb Plant 40xp 150xp
Bomb Defusal 140xp 300xp
Bomb Explosion 100xp 150xp

Hostage Rescued 20xp 100xp

End or Round Win 0xp 100xp

Tome of Experience 100xp 100xp
Big Tome of Experience 200xp 250xp
Massive Tome 750xp 1000xp

As a large number of the community is faced with losing 500 levels or more in the recent “move”, I’ve felt it time to revisit the experience gain system. The following would be my personal recommendations for permanent adjustments to benefit both returning community regulars as well as ease the burden of the grind for newcomers.

My primary concern for the current system is that efficient xp gain is currently most efficient in simply saving for tomes. The problem I see with that is by nature, it more often punishes a player for actually playing the game and rewards players more for minimal effort.

For example, under the current system, in approximately 8 rounds (avg 2k per round), the player can earn 750xp on a single massive tome. If a player decides to invest in weapons and armor and maintains a 1:1 kill-death ratio, said player will earn a mere 400xp, just slightly more than half of a single massive tome. While there are other factors to consider, such as higher level kills and other bonuses, one must also keep in mind that not everyone can maintain a 1:1 kdr. Generally speaking, it pays more to play less.

The primary reason I’m recommending a large buff to xp gains is it can be frustrating waiting for players to attempt objectives. It slows the game for everyone. However, if rescuing hostages within a single round is the equivalent of half a massive tome alone, or planting the bomb is worthwhile, people will be far more inclined to actually play, resorting to tomes only as necessary. Also, these numbers should be considered adjustable if any particular value proves itself overwhelming.

While I realize that boosts to xp can be exploited by players, I think the benefit is well worth the risk. Why bother farming xp on an empty server when you can get the same or better with people on it?

Last edited by Roland on Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added Poll)
Roland
Roland

Back to top Go down

Xp Gain Readjustment Recommendations for Consideration Empty Re: Xp Gain Readjustment Recommendations for Consideration

Post  Raijin Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:20 pm

i completely agree with Roland on this, and i would love just a bit of an xp bonus to help attract more ppl.
Raijin
Raijin

Back to top Go down

Xp Gain Readjustment Recommendations for Consideration Empty Re: Xp Gain Readjustment Recommendations for Consideration

Post  The arc of Insanity Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:12 am

I agree that it seems like all people do is grind for tomes, And they should be more of a suppletory thing than something to rely on.

But I don't really feel the need to generally increase exp rates. There IS only a limited amount of races. What were you going to do afterwards? And what would you do after a routine level reset?

Concerning end round exp, I don't know how to add that.
The arc of Insanity
The arc of Insanity

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:49 am

Honestly I think we have too many races - making it a lot harder to balance out and test for bugs.

The problem I see with the lack of xp is that people tend to grind for access to races. When I cap out, its for the purpose of either having all skills at my disposal or because I need levels to access other races. More often than not its the latter.

By increasing xp rates, it helps to bridge the gap between newcomers and old regulars. I've seen more than a few quit server out of frustration on how long it takes to access new races. At level 1150+, I found myself generally rotating between maybe 10 races at most, and its not exactly fun playing a race you don't like for the sheer sake of additional levels.

I think the biggest thing that tends to put people off wcs servers is the time investment required. While it makes perfect sense that some of the better races should take longer to be accessed (and thus feel rewarding), having to play races you have no desire to really starts to show the current xp limitations.
Roland
Roland

Back to top Go down

Xp Gain Readjustment Recommendations for Consideration Empty Removing Massive Tome doesn't resolve the experience gain issue.

Post  Roland Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:15 am

By removing the massive tome, while people are no longer inclined to waste money on tomes, it still does not resolve the lack of experience in general.

I personally believe we'd see a lot more traffic if playing felt more rewarding. Not having earned the levels directly would skew Insanity's perception of just how long it takes to earn them. For those of us who have put the time and effort to see 500 levels or more, we are well aware of how time-consuming and often painful the grind can be. A day or two of double xp doesn't solve the issue, especially as not everyone can be on for those two specific days for whatever schedule conflict.
Roland
Roland

Back to top Go down

Post  Lovin Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:37 am

I agree that there should be a little bit of an xp gain, but not the point where everything is literally 100 xp for almost everything you do. that is a little excessive for some things in my opinion. like insanity said, you'd level so fast on some things that it would be kind of rediculous, and then what would everyone do when they're max level in a month and the server doesn't get reset for another 4 months? or w/e they decide to make it, you wouldn't play or you'd be bored, and we def. don't want the server to die down b/c people wanted more xp and not have to work a little.
Lovin
Lovin

Back to top Go down

Post  The arc of Insanity Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:38 am

Secks, You're implying that I've never played a WCS server before? I've spent much time and effort on wcs servers,and I've played MMORPGs that take much longer to level.

The exp gain for objectives were increased, Massive tomes were removed, Other tomes are more expensive.

You make a good point with bridging the gap, But the best wcs servers have litterally a thousand races, And it keeps things interesting and exciting to figure out what you just unlocked. And the more races we have the less often we have to reset shit. Concerning the balance issues, That's why there is a part of the forum dedicated to that. Don't bitch about every little thing, But I'd like to keep some balance to the server so a, say, Elf has a chance against a Jim raynor. And to be honest I'd rather make elf better than make jim raynor worse.
The arc of Insanity
The arc of Insanity

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:27 pm

I'm not sure how a recommendation becomes "bitching", as I was simply looking to improve the experience for everyone, not just myself.

Insanity, I meant no disrespect, but when someone hasn't had to earn levels for over a month because he's been focused on testing higher level races and server maintenance, it's easy to lose sight of the regular grind.

I myself have a few MMO's under my belt.

SWG pre-cu before they broke it beyond recognition - had just gotten my jedi too

WoW before the first expansion - the grind to 60 was a pain, getting a solid 40 man raid group on the same page... not so fun

City of Heroes/Villains - had a number of level 50s, the trick was getting them the epic enhancements and finding solid groups for the end game quests - and that's only if you wanted badges

There were three main factors that allowed me to hit 1150+ so quickly since the last database corruption:

1. Massive Tomes
2. Higher Level Players
3. Levels granted by Admin

As one as been removed, and there currently aren't many "higher level" players - that itself reduces gained level speed dramatically. As I'm not expecting admins to be nearly as generous with level gifts this time around, it should be some time before people hit end tier.

However, as server reset has been addressed, I would recommend that be a yearly occurrence, similar to D2 ladder. Not everyone has the time to grind up endlessly, and it would punish those who were slower to level too much. Why would someone want to spend three months grinding up to laser light show only to lose it after a week?
Roland
Roland

Back to top Go down

Post  The arc of Insanity Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:41 pm

I was not calling saying you were bitching, And I realize you're just making a suggestion.

I generally increased xp gains a bit, And reduced xp requirements a bit last night, and I believe it was also decided that a good course of action would be resetting the levelbank every saturday or so.

I know you mean no disrespect, And I didn't mean to seem like I was attacking you. But I enjoy grinding in MMORPGs, It's what makes wcs fun for me. And you might just be too concerned with leveling, and not concerned enough with just having fun.
The arc of Insanity
The arc of Insanity

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:49 am

I'm actually liking the removal of the massive tome and the increased cost of the big tome as it puts the xp on a more even plain when compared to purchasing equipment.

I'm a little weary of a regular reset on lb. While it does reward players for putting more time on the server, I have a feeling it will widen the gap considerably for new incoming players. With higher xp rewards, a newcomer that does well can earn as much if not more than a regular that does adequately or poorly. As much as I would enjoy regular levels in the bank weekly, it's just a thought I'd like kept in mind when its implemented.

Oh I found a script and some info for adding winning end round xp.

http://warcraft-source.com/board/index.php?topic=9640.0
Roland
Roland

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum